Sunday 8 September 2013

Risen to the bottom pt2

Fighting Talk's decline (post Colin Murray) has continued today with the previously safe hands of Jonathan Pearce. For one who is so assured and erudite on the radio it seems his Kryptonite is a script. Dougie "2 answers" "3 answers" "4 answers" "Ando" Anderson looked decidedly annoyed/non-plussed by the whole affair  (I was on the webcam like a true fan/geek/£"$^) . As he may say "michitie me, michitie me" (apologies for spelling).  

It was strange. Jonathan Pearce clung to his script and his voice suggested he found no solace therein. The insecure, progressing redacting of the questions suggested he didn't want to be there. The true quality of the man came out, however, when, just after half time, they had a kickie-uppie comp. Pearce relaxed and gave his normal, assured and entertaining patter. Without a script the man is class. Good man!

I am a big fan of JP. I'll always remember one of his early C5 qoutes - "...the growler, the prowler; Robbie Fowler" many years ago (apparently 1997, according to Google). In fact, it is only second to (I think) Ray Stubbs on MOTD saying "His name's Karel and he's got long hair but Mister Poborsky's certainly Match of the Day's man of the day".

Like a football club manager I hope JP gets a chance. If he relaxes he could be great. I still miss the big CM., though. I'm grieving too much to listen to him on talkSPORT.

This was supposed to be a small post. Apologies.

No comments:

Post a Comment