Saturday 30 November 2013

28 days later was better. Film makers are rubbish

Why is film so bad?

Back in the day film was considered the pinnacle of production. When I was a kid I grew up wanting to be a film actor. Not because of the fame, celebrity or money. Maybe the hookers. No, not even the hookers.

I wanted to act in the Hollywood movies because they were awesome. Examples? I will choose carefully.

When I grew up in the 80's?

Top Gun (don't care what anyone says it is a great film)
The Breakfast Club
Carlitos Way (The same as, but better than, Scarface)

When I started liking film in the 90's?

Lock, stock etc. (Guy Ritchie critics are idiots. Remember this film? He was the new Tarantino)
Jackie Brown (my favourite Tarantino film)
Se7en
Fight Club (Obviously. Anyone who disagrees hasn't seen it. It is cleverer than you think).

Anyhoo, films are bad now. I am blessed with the ability to use two laptops at once. So, I am watching World War Z at the same time as posting this.

World War Z seems to be a massive Zombie based reach-around fest. It has themes running through it. I get the whole helicopter thing. But you can sleep through an hour of it without missing anything. The appearance of Doctor Who is great, though

Film is not the reason for this post. It is the awesome-ness of tv. What would you rather watch? An entire season of Homeland or a film on the same subject.

The beauty of tv is that it has realised that we are all GEEKS at heart. Nothing wrong with that. A plus point, in my opinion. But we need to know. We are questioning creatures and so understanding the world around us is vital. TV has fulfilled this in a way that film necessarily can't or won't.

I wasn't annoyed until I saw the latest "Oscar contenders". The Butler and Saving Mr Banks. Is someone joking? I am not laughing (although I am. At them). These films might be brilliant but you know before you go in that they will go further than a reach-around - further than I am prepared to describe here.

As ever, I want to undermine everything I've said here. I now need to go see them. The only reason that I'm slating them is assumption.

Somehow, this World War Z is still on. This is now a less good version of I Am Legend. Actually, shot for shot, in some places.

Maybe Brad Pitt finally screwed up.

</end rant>

No comments:

Post a Comment