Sunday 3 November 2013

Yes. They be crazy

I think I've satisfied my quota of care in the community for the next week.

Realising that I'd spent a large part of the day on safari (youtube safari - that, disturbingly, took me from Tubes to LFC TV to Edgar Davids swearing to serial killers) I decided that I needed to go out for a token constitutional.

9pm is primetime for supermarket bargains so I set out for Tesco and got as far as the end of the road when I saw her.

There was a lady and a man. The man was standing next to the lady. The lady was crawling on the floor on her hands and knees. Now, the way they were configured I assumed she was searching for something. OK, not so much assumed, more hoped. Maybe,  with my earphones in, I could walk past unnoticed and unnoticing.

Today my luck was out. I heard the two words that all Brits dread. "Excuse me...". Anonymity is a valuable commodity to many of us.

Anyhoo, the lady HAD been drinking. I assume she was in her early 20's (she looked 60 but had clearly been drinking for a long time) and could not even stand without help from two people. The initial excuse (before I had worked out how pickled she was) was that she had a wooden hip. Now, initially I thought this could be true, but a subsequent google search has returned squat.

And I mean diddly.

Along with her (what turned out to be) ex-husband, I helped her across the road to the sheltered accommodation where she resides (and possibly should be sectioned).

The situation asks bigger questions. The nearest pub is about a mile away. I needed to help her over the last 20 metres. How did she get from the bar to the point I saw her? Did she start drinking when Wetherspoons opens (early), keep drinking until midday, then spend the next 9 hours crawling home like a politician back to his wife?

Maybe I should call her.

In unrelated news, I'm back on the waggon for a while.

No comments:

Post a Comment