Saturday 2 November 2013

If you start one habit a month then in three years you'll have 36 new habits

Part of the reason I started running was that I wanted to change my habits. Over the years I'd got into many, many bad habits (toilet seat doesn't count - down isn't the default position).

My two half marathons have kind of flattered to deceive. Yes, I am phenomenally proud of them. I've gone from 17 stone to 13.1 miles and, when I look back, I still can't believe it. I can also now run throughout an hours' 5-a-side and still have enough energy and breath to jog 2 miles home.

But my fitness base feels entirely superficial. My training was erratic, I still only have one gear (two, at best) and the necessary downtime needed after an event or 5-a-side just doesn't seem right.

I've decided that the Longleat half might be my last half - I want to put in some proper training to get a proper sub-2hr time - and whether its Longleat or not, it means by the time I'll be ready it is pretty much the start of the running season (March). Then I might take the step up.

I have my 19 week plan. It starts small and grows and I've designed it to put down the base I need. It includes plenty of cross training (bike and workout dvd) and also has weights. I want to run every day and feel this is achievable (nomeatathlete). I'm starting with 10 minutes and taking it from there.

Habit 1 is November's habit.

Back on track.

No comments:

Post a Comment