Tuesday 1 October 2013

Sunlight on a broken column

To paraphrase T.S. Eliot my birthdays often pass me by not with a bang but a whimper. I prefer it this way. A quiet pint with my bro and sharing a few cakes around the office suits me fine.I don't want to be reminded that 33 will be no more and 34 is the grim reality for the next 12 months.

I'm not complaining, really. I feel younger than I look and, according to a straw poll taken around the office I look younger than the average viewer of Blue Peter (is that even still on?).

What birthdays do do for me (heh heh. Do-do) is make me have a rethink. Check where I am in life and where I am going. It has been a tough 12 months. I've had to properly learn to cope without my mum (which has been tough). I've also managed to buy a house and run a half marathon when, at one point in the last year I was about 17 stone. So a lot of positives.

The next 12 months? Who knows? The usual hopes and dreams still apply. A genuine commitment to finding inappropriate material on the internet is always top priority. I want to make the "natural" progression from half to full marathon (the "" were used because there is absolutely NOTHING natural about running 26 miles). I want to improve my workrate  in 5 a side - I have no actual talent and my diminishing size is less of a hinderance to opponents than it was so I'll have to learn to mark and tackle again. I also want to put some proper moves on my career. There are some interesting roles coming up that are worth a look. I've been there 6 years (!) now. Time to show what I can do!!!

And I still hope for that elusive first reader of my blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment